Suggested Wine Pairing: Cline Sonoma Syrah
Made with these products from The Olive Press:
Picual Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Prep Time: 30 minutes | Grilling Time: 10 to 15 minutes
- 10 ounces baby spinach leaves, rinsed
- Picual Extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 1 cup finely diced ripe tomato
- 1⁄4 cup oil-packed, sun-dried tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup pitted and coarsely chopped Kalamata Olives
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large portabello mushrooms, 5 to 6 inches in diameter
- 1⁄4 cup fine, soft bread crumbs
- To make the filling: In a large saucepan over high heat, cook the spinach just until wilted, 1 to 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Transfer the spinach to a sieve and drain until cooled. Squeeze out the remaining liquid with your hands, and then roughly chop the spinach. You should have about 1 cup.
- Wipe out the saucepan and warm 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until golden, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the diced tomatoes and cook for 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Add the spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, olives, 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, and 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper. Cook until all the moisture has evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Remove and discard the mushroom stems. With a teaspoon, carefully scrape out the black gills from the mushroom caps and discard. Generously brush or spray the mushroom caps with oil and season them with 1⁄4 teaspoon salt. Grill, smooth sides up, over Direct Medium heat until well marked, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a work surface, smooth sides down. Spoon a thin layer of the filling onto the mushrooms, spreading it evenly to the edges.
- In a small bowl toss the bread crumbs with 1 tablespoon of oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle each stuffed mushroom evenly with a thin layer of crumbs. Grill the mushrooms, smooth sides down, over Direct Medium heat until the crumbs are browned and the mushrooms are tender, 5 to 10 minutes more. Serve warm.
©2011 Weber-Stephen Products LLC. Recipe from Weber’s Real Grilling™ by Jamie Purviance. Used with permission