Suggested Wine Pairing: Sonoma Coast Chardonnay
Made with these products from The Olive Press:
Picual Extra Virgin Olive Oil
These spicy hot wings will please any crowd - perfect for hosting a block party!
PREP TIME: 20 minutes | GRILLING TIME: 22 to 24 minutes
- 4 teaspoons minced canned chipotle chiles in adobo
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1½ teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 16 chicken wings, about 2½ pounds total, each one cut in half at the joint, wing tips removed
Ingredients (Hot Sauce):
- 3 tablespoons Picual extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, grated or minced
- 4 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 2½ teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon buttermilk
- ½ teaspoon cider vinegar
- In a large bowl combine the paste ingredients. Add the wings and stir to coat them all over with the paste. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- In a heavy, small saucepan over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the garlic and stir until aromatic, about 1 minute. Add the vinegar and hot pepper sauce and simmer for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to large glass or stainless steel bowl.
- In a medium bowl combine the dressing ingredients. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- Prepare the grill for direct and indirect cooking over medium-high heat (about 450°F).
- Brush the cooking grates clean. Remove the wings from the bowl and wipe off most of the paste. Grill the wings over direct medium-high heat until grill marks appear, about 4 minutes, turning once. Move the wings over indirect medium-high heat and continue grilling until the meat is no longer pink at the bone and the skin is crisp, about 15 minutes, turning occasionally. Keep the lid closed as much as possible during grilling. Transfer the wings to the bowl with the hot sauce; turn to coat. Return the wings to the grill and cook over direct medium-high heat for an additional 3 to 5 minutes, turning once or twice. Remove from the grill and serve with the blue cheese dressing.
©2013 Weber-Stephen Products LLC. Recipe from Weber’s New Real Grilling™ by Jamie Purviance. Used with permission.